~Spending the entire day in a hot kitchen on my feet is not for me! Therefore, when canning it is only on a small scale. None of this all day canning a box full of fruit or vegetables for me. I don’t have the patience especially in this heat. Not to mention it’s just two of us now. Hubs brought home another 6 pack of raspberries from Costco so I decided it was time to try Raspberry Curd. My type of canning can be done in about an hour or less and doesn’t require that huge canner pot that Barb has, an 8 quart pan or soup pot will do. Also, I sterilize using my mom’s tip: Put jars in microwave for 3 minutes. The idea of using my Raspberry Curd on a muffin photo shoot this morning flew out the window when I broke the 1/2 jar of curd. 8-( This recipe makes 2 1/2 jars. I gave one jar to Barb. I’m saving the second jar for the winter when I’ll need hot tea and to eat something slathered in Raspberry Curd. So….
- 1 cup raspberries, blended with seeds removed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter – cold and cut into pieces
- Blend the raspberries and push through sieve to remove seeds. Put into saucepan
- Briskly whisk the 3 eggs together and add to saucepan. Mix.
- Add the lemon juice and sugar. Whisk together well.
- Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until mixture starts to boil, usually around 5 – 6 minutes. Curd should be thick at this stage.
- Turn off heat and briskly beat in the butter.
- Pour into small, sterilized canning jars. NOTE: Curl’s wrote a good explanation for sterilizing. Our mom gave the hint to wash jars and place in microwave for 3 minutes. I used this method of sterilization.
- Place in canner with boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. NOTE: See Curl’s canning pictures and explanation for better details.
- Take out of canner and place upside down for 5 minutes.
- Turn right-side up and you should hear the pop of the lids sealing.
Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups. I didn’t can the 1/2 cup, I left it out for us to eat immediately when cooled. YUM!